Week 92

92 I may not be doing NaNoWriMo, but I still have a word count aim: 1,000 a day. Sometimes I hit it no problem, sometimes I really struggle, and sometimes I cut more than I write and don't quite manage it. I don't want to make the mistake of chasing words rather than a story - some days I find myself checking my word count every few words - so I don't take it too seriously, but, like NaNoWriMo, it's a useful prop and motivator.

And this week I finished Part One, the first of three! Woohoo! A couple of days off target, as it's too long, but there are some scenes I think would do better later in the book, so I won't have to cut, just delay them.

While planning I split the book into three parts. I'm not sure if they will remain, but they helped me to plan key points in the narrative, not to mention how splitting up a 100,000-word document into three makes things feel, you know, manageable and a little less daunting. Chances are when this draft is done, I can remove the Parts structure like Jenga pieces (and hope the whole thing doesn't fall down).

This draft is... not perfect. It needs straightening out, cutting back and reordering, but, unlike the first draft, I feel the components are there. They need to be expanded on and explained, they need improving and rewriting, but they are there.

Word count this week: 7,008 Second draft: 33,909 First draft: 128,661